Double Hung Windows
Double hung windows are a widely favored option for various home styles. These windows consist of both a top and bottom sash that can be slid up and down, offering two levels of ventilation. The inward tilting sash simplifies the cleaning process, making double hung windows an excellent choice for homes with multiple levels.
Two movable sashes offer versatile ventilation and tilt inward for convenient cleaning inside the home.
The 3-1/4” wide frame enhances the appeal of classic architecture.
The glass units are positioned ¾ inch into the sash, ensuring excellent insulation and interior comfort.
Tailored to match the precise size and specifications of your home, ensuring accurate installation and optimal performance.
BENEFITS OF DOUBLE-HUNG WINDOWS
Experience the convenience of tilting the window inward for effortless cleaning of the exterior glass, providing an ideal solution for windows on the second or third story.
Tailor your ventilation to your liking by opting to open the top sash, the bottom sash, or both, based on your specific needs, and revel in a comfortable home.
Double-hung windows offer the advantage of maximizing both interior and exterior space as they do not protrude. Consider their placement near porches, patios, and walkways for an efficient use of space.
WHAT IS A DOUBLE-HUNG WINDOW?
How it Operates:
A double-hung window functions by allowing movement from both the top and bottom. It comprises two independent sashes that can be raised from the bottom or lowered from the top. The two sashes stack and meet in the center, securing the window with a latch.
Double-hung windows are designed for easy cleaning, as both sashes tilt inward, providing convenient access to both interior and exterior glass surfaces. Their ventilation properties, without protruding inwards or outwards, maximize interior and exterior space, making them popular choices for entertainment spaces such as patios and porches.
Commonly found in traditional and farmhouse-style homes, double-hung windows can be enhanced with a simple grille pattern to accentuate their traditional aesthetic, adding modest detail and charm.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DOUBLE HUNG & SINGLE HUNG WINDOWS
Double-hung windows feature two movable sashes that operate vertically, facilitating ventilation from the top, bottom, or both.
In contrast, Single-hung windows enable ventilation through a sole operable lower sash. Both window types allow easy cleaning from within your home and maintain a flush profile with the wall, making them well-suited for placement near patios or walkways.
Double-Hung Window Tips & Advice
Explore our gallery to see our windows in action, showcasing the transformative impact a new window can have on your home. You can also contact our Phoenix double hung window experts for any additional questions.
Double-Hung Windows FAQ
A double-hung window consists of two movable sashes divided by a meeting rail. The presence of two movable panels makes maintenance more convenient, as both panels usually tilt inward. Furthermore, it offers enhanced ventilation when compared to a single-hung window.
Double-hung windows offer several advantages:
1. Ventilation Options: Double-hung windows provide flexibility in ventilation. Both the top and bottom sashes can be moved, allowing for better control of airflow.
2. Ease of Cleaning: Many double-hung windows have a design that allows the sashes to tilt inward, making it easier to clean the exterior glass from inside the home.
3. Space Efficiency: They don’t protrude outward when open, maximizing both interior and exterior space. This makes them suitable for areas near patios, porches, or walkways.
4. Versatility in Design: The classic design of double-hung windows complements various architectural styles, making them a versatile choice for different types of homes.
5. Energy Efficiency: When properly sealed and installed, double-hung windows can contribute to energy efficiency by providing good insulation and reducing drafts.
6. Enhanced Security: Modern double-hung windows often come with advanced locking mechanisms, enhancing the security of the home.
7. Aesthetic Appeal: Their traditional and timeless appearance can add aesthetic value to a home, contributing to its overall curb appeal.
8. Customization: Double-hung windows are often available in various sizes and materials, allowing for customization to suit the specific needs and style preferences of homeowners.
Vinyl material results in resilient, thermally efficient double-hung windows capable of withstanding harsh weather conditions. Vinyl serves as an excellent insulator, ensuring consistent comfort in your home while also reducing energy costs. Virtually maintenance-free, vinyl windows resist pitting or peeling over time, maintaining their attractive appearance for an extended period.
Double-hung windows are well-suited for both new construction and renovation projects. In the case of new homes, they are crafted with nail fins for direct installation into the studs of the structure. Conversely, double-hung windows intended for replacement projects omit nail fins, as they are installed directly into the existing structure of the home.